We all need our students to remember what we teach and be able to recall it when necessary. The best way I have found to do this is to help our students connect their learning to previous experience inside and outside of our classrooms.
Here are 10 questions that will help you do just that!
1. Where have you seen something like this before?
2. Can you do this problem another way?
3. How are these problems the same/different?
4. Can you draw a picture or a model to show that is true?
5. Does that always work?
6. Can you find the pattern?
7. How can you check your answer?
8. Have we ever solved a problem like this before?
9. Where else would this strategy be useful?
10. Can you create a similar problem to this one? harder? easier?
Using these questions everyday will not only build retention, but also connections and interest. And we all know engaged and interested students do best.