Unit 1 - Week 1
- Order of operations (A-CED.1)
- Solve (two-step) one variable equation (A-CED.1)
- Basic graphing review (A-REI.10)
Subscribe to our Newsletter to get your
Unit 1 Assessments and stay informed of updates.
- 4 Weekly Assessments
- 2 Performance Tasks
- Online Assessment Prep Guide
Is there anything better than the first week of school? It is extremely important that students learn right away that they will be engaged bell to bell in your algebra 1 class. Be sure that your lessons reflect this all week. This will be one area where a little extra effort will pay off tenfold. Discussion of rules and procedures can be imbedded into your lessons, but they should not be your algebra one lesson.
Day 1 & 2 - Order of Operations
Just the facts! Because my students will be using Netbooks this year (a first for them), my goal is to train them about my expectations quickly. This lesson works on understanding the order of operations, rational numbers, as well as wikis. We will be doing math while incorporating some of the technology that is so motivating for my students.
- Just the Facts!
- Sample Glog (if some of the blogs does not load properly, click "HTML5")
- Independent online practice - SAS Curriculum
- Printable Worksheets
- PEMDAS Foldables
- Helpful graphic organizer created by Julie Ruelbach from "I Speak Math."
- Mangahigh - PEMDAS Blaster and Pinata Fever
- Thatquiz links (click for information on thatquiz.org)
Day 3 - This day will be split into two halves. A & B
- A. Graphing simple equations in both slope-intercept form and standard form
- Get a Free Slope and Rate of Change Lesson Plan
- B. Verbalize and solve two-step one variable equations
Day 4 - Pre-assessment
Shapes of Algebra - This will be used as a pre-assessment or better called an observation day for me to help understand where all of my students are currently in their math understanding. Students will work in groups of two or three to complete the packet. I will be circulating, asking questions, being sure to notice who is ahead and who is behind. This will not be presented as an assessment.
Day 5 - Finish Shapes of Algebra and Assessment #1